Diocese of Romblon and Mindoros
(Bishop Address of the Rt. Rev. Ronelio V. Fabriquier to the Annual Diocesan Convention of the Diocese of Romblon and Mindoros on Feb. 25 – 27, 2011 at the Cathedral of St. Vincent Ferrer, Odiongan, Romblon.)
“Effort is important, but knowing where to make an effort in your life makes all the difference. If a drop of water falls in the lake there’s no identity but if falls an a leaf of lotus, it shines like a pearl, so choose the best place where you would shine” Anonymous
My esteemed delegates of the Diocesan signed 2011 of the Diocese of Romblon and Mindoros a pleasant day to everyone. I would like to present to you the product of our collective endeavor just to shine like a pearl.
As your Bishop sharing the ministry of oversight of the Iglesia Filipina Independiente with the primacy of the Obispo Maximo, bear the fullness of ministry and serve the unity, continuity and communion of the local church of ROOM. Being the Bishop and head of the local church is the principal dispenser of sacraments and orders, and from whom both priest and deacons derive their authority and ministry. I exercise my ministry of oversight in personal, collegial and communal ways. My Episcopal Ministry is not authoritarian but rather a ministry that is exercised in service to the ecclesial community. It is a ministry of Pasturing and building up God’s people.
Presently the Diocese of Romblon and Mindoros under my oversight serving more or less 50,000 faithful with 7 parishes and 11 missions, 102 chapels, 1 cathedral, 20 priest, 1 deacon, 3 seminarians, 1 church music student, 239 Lay Readers, 2 pre-school, 1 primary school, 1 secondary school, 1 Pious organization (IFI), Mangyan Mission, organized priest and Diocesan Council.
The year 2010 is another fruitful years in the life of our church. It is a great challenge for the Diocese especially the financial capability due to the approved 45 – 55 sharing. Thanks be to God we did it with pride and honor and with all humility we survived.
ACTIVITIES UNDERTAKEN AND TASKS ACCOMPLISHED
Pastoral work is one of the crucial and important roles of bishop to supervise, evaluate and intervene to the life, work and ministry of the local church being the locus of mission. Pastoral visit happened during the implementation of the program as part of integration and immersion to the parishes and missions. I would like to present to you the following endeavor:
*FIESTA – Sto. Niño, Sta. Maria, Romblon, January 3, 2010
– Lubang Fiesta – Lubang Island, Occidental Mindoro. January 12 – 17, 2010.
– Roxas, Oriental Mindoro, January 24 – 25, 2010
– Libertad, Odiongan, Romblon, February 2, 2010
– Paluan Occidental Mindoro, March 18 – 19, 2010
– Bangkal, Bulalacao, Oriental Mindoro, April 12, 2010
– Madalag, Alcantra, Romblon, April 8, 2010
– Ferrol, Romblon, June 12, 2010
– Balugo, Mansalay, Oriental Mindoro, Dec. 20, 2
*Presided the Parish Conventions of the following: Ferrol, Looc,Burol,Tilik, Lubang Occ. Mindoro, Mansalay, Bulalacao, Bongabong, Roxas Or. Mindoro, Calatrava, Looc,
San Andres, and Cathedral.
*Visit Sta. Cruz for site inspection,Sta.Cruz, Occidental Mindoro, March 18, 2010
*Visit Silad for mass wedding/ mass baptism, Silad, Bulalacao, Oriental Mindoro – Oct. 20, 2010
*Diocesan Convention – Odiongan Romblon – Feb. 19 – 21, 2010
*Pastoral Dialogue for Clergy, Diocesan Office – July 5 – 12, 2010
*Visit Simara, Mabini, Corcuera, Romblon – Nov. 2, 2010
*Thanksgiving Mass: Samahan, Alcantra, tagaytay, Calatrava, Bangon, Sto. Niño, Cathedral, Libertad and Corcuera
*Gift Giving – Mangyan Mission – Dec. 21, 2010.
*Mass San Andres – Nov. 28, 2010
The 108th Founding Anniversary of the church was a successful one. Aside from the Joint North Central Luzon and South Central Luzon celebration, we have Diocesan and Provincial Celebration.
-August 14, 2010 – Odiongan, Romblon
-August 21, 2010 – Roxas, Oriental Mindoro
-August 28, 2010 – 10 years Parochial Anniversary, Parish of our Lady of Candle – Libertad
*Misa de Gallo
One venue of my pastoral visit is Misa de Gallo. This is for my final evaluation and pushing the National and Diocesan Program among the parishes and missions. I divided my time within 9 days to visit some selected Parish that needs my Pastoral Guidance. I am happy enough of the increasing membership attendance during Holiday season. The church is now moving to be stable and progressing. I visited the following Parishes and Missions: Odiongan, San Andres, Calatrava, looc, Roxas, Mansalay, Bulalacao, Ferrol, Guinbirayan.
As Bishop my function is not only as an overseer but the chief liturgist of the Diocese and Guardian of faith. I was also invited to officiate: nuptials, burials, and most often to conduct Confirmation Rite, Last year I confirmed 151 members.
- 2. MEETINGS, SEMINARS, CONVENTIONS
Regular clericus meetings and clergy study – – – – – – – – – 3 regular, 2 special
Supreme Council of Bishop Meetings – – – – – – – – – – – – – 2
Diocesan Council Meetings – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – 7 regular, 4 special
Cathedral Council Meeting
Parish Council Meeting
Execom Meeting – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – 4
South Central Luzon Meeting – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – -4
RPRD Board Meeting
Ecumenical Bishop’s Forum – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – 3
ROMINEC / Others
*SEMINARS / SYMPOSIA / FOR A
1. COMELEC Orientation on PCOS Machine – RSU – January 11, 2011
2. Environmental and Disasters Risk Management Capability Building for Climate Change
Adaptation and Mitigation – Odiongan Municipal Hall – January 28, 2010
3. Forum on Climate Change – RSU – February 14, 2010
4. NSO Seminar on Solemnizing Officer – Calapan City – February 25, 2010
5. Consultation on Small Town Lottery – Odiongan Municipal Hall
6. Consultation on IFI Schools – Central Office, Manila – February 26 – 27, 2010
7. Meeting with WOPIC Region 2 – Roxas Oriental Mindoro – March 6 – 7, 2010
8. Meeting with the Japanese Students – Diocesan Office – March 8, 2010
9. Speaker Baccalaureate Mass – St. Paul Seminary, Guimaras Province – March 25, 2010
10. Speaker Youth Retreat – Looc, Romblon – March 22, 2010
11. Voters Education and Poll Watchers Seminars – Odiongan, Romblon – April 7, 2010
12. Investiture – Board Member – Boy Scout of the Philippines, Romblon Council – Tuguis Odiongan, Romblon, April 2010
13. Ecumenical Prayer – Romblon, Romblon – June 30, 2010
14. Development Management and Training Seminar – ACTS, August 10 – 12, 2010
15. Speaker – BSP 1st Provincial Wide Spiritual Camp – Oct 1 – 3, Calatrava, Romblon
– BSP – Nov. 2, 2010, Simara, Romblon
16. CPMD Training Seminar – ACTS – Nov. 3 – 6, 2010
- 3. MISSION AND EVANGELISM
One of the growing and notable programs of our Diocese today is the growth of Mission
and Evangelism. It is because of the effort of our clergy and missionaries especially in Mindoro which IFI seems to be new commodities for missions.
- A. MANGYAN MISSION
We have new couple Mangyan Lay Reader and presently they are assigned in Silad,
- B. CHAPEL BLESSING
- Malamig Chapel – May 17, 2010 – Calatrava, Romblon
- Carmundo Chapel – July 18, 2010 – Carmundo, Bongabong, Oriental Mindoro
- San Roque Chapel – August 20, 2010 – San Roque, Bulalacao, Oriental Mindoro
- Chapel of the Holy Hill – January 9, 2011 – Happy Valley, Roxas, Oriental Mindoro
- St. Isidore Chapel – January 9, 2011 – Bal – ong, Roxas, Oriental Mindoro
- Chapel of the Holy Trinity – January 21, 2010 – Hinag – oman, Ferrol Romblon
- Chapel of the Holy Child – January 21, 2010 – Sitio Paradise Hinag – oman, Ferrol Romblon
- Convent Blessing – Dec. 20, 2010 – Madalag, Alcantra, Romblon
- Sta. Cruz Chapel
- 4. ECUMENICAL RELATION AND SOCIAL CONCERN
Romblon Ecumenical Forum against Mining (REFAM)
Romblon against Gambling
- PROGRAMS AND PROJECTS
- Construction of Bishop House
- Tile Fixing of Diocesan Office and Installation of stair of the second floor of the Diocesan office.
- Finishing of façade construction of convent gate and repainting – Parish of the Holy Child, Roxas, Oriental Mindoro
- Church Renovation – Parish of St. Andrew, San Andres, Romblon
- Construction of office, convent and third floor – Cathedral of St. Vincent ferrer, Odiongan, Romblon
- Construction of the second floor of convent and terrace – Parish of St. Anthony de Padua, Ferrol, Romblon
- Re- Roofing and tile fixing of the floor – Mission of St. Joseph, Bongabong, Oriental Mindoro
- Renovation of altar and acquired new pews – Parish of St. Joseph – Mabini Corcuera, Romblon
- Construction of Façade – office, gate of convent, baptismal fort, water tanks, tile fixing and pews – Our Lady of Candles – Libertad, Odiongan, Romblon
- On going construction of convent – Mission of St. Joseph, Paluan, Occidental Mindoro.
- Tile Fixing of Center Isle and Repair of the Pews – Mission of St. Isidore, Guinbirayan, Sta Fe, Romblon
- Tile Fixing and Concreting the Side Wall of the Church – Mission of the Holy Child – Sto. Niño Sta. Maria, Romblon
- Repair of the main door of the church – Mission of Our Lady of Salvation, Balugo, Mansalay, Oriental Mindoro.
- Repainting and finishing of the church wall, renovation of convent – Mission of St. Anthony of Padua, Bangcal, Bulalacao, Oriental Mindoro
- Repainting of the church, acquired new drum set and sound system Parish of St. Michael Calatrava, Romblon
- Landscaping and Construction of Built – in furniture – Parish 0f St. Joseph, Looc, Romblon
- Construction of new convent and office, Mission of St. Vincent Ferrer, Madalag, Alcantra, Romblon
- Construction of Lanas convent – Mission of St. Isidore, Lanas San Jose, Romblon
- Re – roofing of Looc Parish, construction of 2nd floor of convent in Agkawayan and finishing of Bell Tower in Burol, Occ. Mindoro
- Complete ceiling of tilik and partial re – roofing of Vigo, Lubong, Occidental Mindoros
- 6. NATIONAL PROGRAM
- Luzon – Wide Clergy Convocation – Baguio City – June 14 – 18, 2010
- Chairman of the Board – Ramento Project on Rights Defenders
- Attended the Consultation of IFI Schools – February 26 – 27, 2010 – National Office
- Clergy Performance Ministerial Development – Nov. 3 – 5, 2010
- 7. CHRISTIAN EDUCATION
– Lay Reader Seminar – April 13 -1 5, 2010 – Roxas, Oriental Mindoro
– Lay Reader Seminar – ESPG, Odiongan, Romblon
– Diocesan Youth Summer Camp – April 12 – 16, 2010 – Dayhagan, Bongabong, Oriental Mindoro
– VCS Training Seminar – April 12 – 16, 2010 – Dayhagan, Bongabong, Oriental Mindoro
– Diocesan WOPIC Day – April 29 – 30, 2010 – Roxas Oriental Mindoro
– Lay Reader Seminar – January 14 – 15, 2011, Paluan, Occidental Mindoro
– Family Fellowship
– Youth Day
– Leadership training Seminar
– Monthly Youth Encounter with Christ
– VCS / Children’s Camp
– Marriage Encounter with Christ Seminar
- 8. PASTORAL LETTERS, STATEMENTS / MEMORANDA
– PagsasaPubliko ng pagtutol ng Iglesia Filipina Independiente sa Small Town Lottery Project ng PCSO – February 2010
– Pastoral Letter Opposing Mining Activities in Tablas
MEMORANDUM 10 – 01 – Annual Diocesan Convention
10 – 02 – 55/45 sharing of the cash receipts of parish and missions
10 – 03 – Lay Reader Diocesan Seminar / Marriage Encounter Seminar
10 – 04 – Renewal of Ordination Vows and Renewal of Commitment of Lay
10 – 05 – National and local Election
10 – 06 – Diocesan Lay Reader Convocation/Luzon Wide Clergy Convocation
10 – 07 – Diocesan Thanksgiving Day
10 – 08 – Tree Planting for Newly wed Couple.
- 9. IFI DIOCESAN SCHOOLS
- Epiphany School of Peace and Goodwill ( ESPG ) Dapawan, Odiongan, Romblon
Director: Rev. Dr. Jose A. Falogme Jr.
Principal: Mr. Jose Chua Jr.
Number of Teachers: 15
Number of Administrative and Support Services: 7
Number of Students/ Pupils: 408
- Good Shepherd Learning ( GSL )
Principal: Mrs. Cecilia F. Servañez
Board of Trustees: 15
The Diocese of ROOM celebrated the Second Diocesan Day in Commemoration of the
Second Death anniversary of the Most Rev. Tito A. Pasco, 8th Obispo Maximo of the Iglesia Filipina Independiente on Nov. 11and 13, 2010 respectively at Romblon State University. The celebration started on Nov. 11 with floral offering to the tomb of Bp. Pasco, then on Nov. 13, 2010 was the Thanksgiving Mass, concelebrated by the clergy of the Diocese. It was a historic event because the highlight of the event was the LIFI Day. There was a Parade, sports competition, parlor games, cheer dance for the YIFI, and Folkdances for the WOPIC. The second Diocesan day is successful because of the support of the Parishes and Missions of the Diocese.
- 11. PROBLEM ENCOUNTERED
The perennial problem that I always encountered is the delayed remittances of some
Parishes and Missions because of geographical location of the Diocese. The consequence of this is the delayed remittance to the Central office. We have not completed the remittance on Pension Plan and Lenten Fund. There are some priests who are reluctant to comply the mandate of the office especially on family visitation visit card, only Ferrol and Mansalay maintain such record. I know its very important to their ministry as a clergy. On the level of the clergy 1.) Fr. Sam Mendoza was transferred to Madalag, Alcantra, Romblon to help fr. Joe Falogme. He was replaced by Fr. Juvy Fodulla in Libertad Parish. Deacon Lenbert Ganoran will take full time assignment in Lanas, San Jose, Romblon.
2.) The post election effect was experienced in the Parishes of San Andres, Calatrava and Simara.
3.) The demise of our active Lay Reader ( Bro. Edison Mayurgas and Rey Faminia). It’s a big loss to our Diocese yet their death gave inspiration to our church.
- 12. CHALLENGES
Being a Bishop in a Local Church like Romblon and Mindoro’s is not an ordinary task.
One, responsibility is big and in dire need. Once a Diocese is active and has programs, the work of the Bishop is too gigantic. It is not only office work, administrative work, liturgical word but much on pastoral and supervising work. It need much sacrifice patience, humility and perseverance to be the center of unity and the father of all in the Diocese. In the year 2010 my life revolves on the things stated above. Due to the geographical location of our Diocese much of my time is on travel for supervision, study and seminars. In spite of hardship, physically I am overwork and financially constraint I am happy doing it which I find meaning to my ministry as a bishop. It challenges me to run the Diocese of ROOM. Modesty aside I am perhaps one of the poorest Bishop economically in the IFI. Yet I am rich with the support and understanding clergy, my family and my constituent. God is good and great because He provided me what I really need not what I really want. He directed me not to be tempted to do what is evil but he directed me to do what he want me to do. The year 2010 is the year of much expressive care for the church, we have a lot of victory and failure yet in God failure is success to redirect what is wrong with me. I am still sinner and have weaknesses. It is my appeal to my clergy, please understand me and support me because I am working for them and for the edification of the church.
The year 2010 is a year of success for the Diocese our presence as a church is now recognize,. In our community, our stand, views and struggle are now being felt the importance of it. Out theme this convention is “Ang Daigdig ang Ating Tahanan, Simbahan ay may Pananagutan na ito ay Pangalagaan is really a guiding post to us to recapitulate what is our role as a church. We must lead and have big leap for this year 2011. I confident enough because of the following reasons:
- 1. Increased on our membership, the exodus of our membership in the Diocese is now in control due to the active participation and laity.
- 2. Increase of Missions, we have new chapels of Holy Trinity and Sto. Niño both in Hinag – oman Ferrol, Romblon., chapel of the Holy Hill, Happy Valley, Roxas, Oriental Mindoro, Ibon Chapel –Carmundo, Bongabong, Or. Mindoro. One of the impressive accomplishment in our mission is we now conquering the mainland of Occidental Mindoro we have now new chapel. In the town of Sta. Cruz we have a new organized congregation at Pamutusin, Paluan, Occ. Mindoro.
- 3. Increase of remittance due to 45 – 55 sharing. We have now an updated stipend of the clergy and can emit to the National Office.
- 4. I appointed Fr. Gerald F. fajutagana being the New Program Officer because Fr. Joby now is taking care the Parish of Libertad.
- 5. The IFI has a very strong Pro Deo et Patria sentiment specially in opposing the Ivanhoe Mining Corporation and other mining activities in Romblon.
- 6. We have now beautiful and presentable church building in all parishes and missions.
- 7. We have a strong cathedral with complete amenities and resources to lead the Diocese.
- 8. Strong active Lay Reader and yearly increase their numbers.
- 9. We have strong and dedicated clergy
- 10. Strong and committed Parish and Diocesan Council.
- 11. Active Sectoral organization.
- 12. We have now Bishop’s House
I know that is not enough, I have to appeal the following:
- 1. Support the full centralization on 2012
- 2. Support and continue the anti – mining campaign of the Diocese
- 3. Support the delegates to the General Assembly and I appeal to solicit funds for our contribution to the said event.
- 4. To create overall committee in SCL 109th Founding Anniversary.
Finally, I would like to thank the following: To all Parishes and missions and individuals who help much in constructing the Bishop’s house. To the Kadbayan MPC for always supporting the program of the Diocese, YIFI, LIFI, WOPIC, Lay Readers, IFIM for doing their best and of course to the clergy of the Diocese for assisting me to run the local church. To our Diocesan Treasurer, Bro. Leonard Gabuna, who always at my side helping to augment the financial problem of the Diocese. Aside from the mention above I’m indebted much the support of the following: Fr. Jovy Fodulla as vicar general and then my program officer, to Fr. Joe Falogme my mentor and adviser, to Rev. Rose who always lessen to my lamentation aspiration plan, to Msgr. Arted and Fr. Mar for assisting me in running the Diocesan Cathedral, to the Cathedral council and staff, to Sarah who always prepare my office in accommodating the visitors and preparing the paper works , to my family, my loving and understanding wife, to my kids Sophia and Ronel Vincent who always longing for father because I’m always out. They are my inspiration. And above all to Almighty God be all Honor and Glory.
ARYA ROOM – ABANTE ! !
Thank you and God Bless . . .
RT. REV. RONELIO V. FABRIQUIER
Bishop of ROOM