Kullabeng, Pinili, Ilocos Norte
It is sitio kullabeng where Monsignor Gregorio L. Aglipay celebrated his 42nd Birthday at the residence of Don Ignacio Lafradez wherein many Filipino Priests were among those who are invited to grace the occasion. The issue of the abuse and discrimination of the Spanish Friars against the Filipino counter parts became the center of discussion, Mons. Aglipay led the group of the Filipino Priests in their declaration of independence from Rome and as a result they established the National Church, the Iglesia Filipina Independiente and so the first mass of the newly-born church was first celebrated in Kullabeng during said occasion.
Pinili was established as a town on January 1, 1920 by virtue of EO No. 92, s.1919, which was signed by the governor general on December 20, 1919. The place was formerly covered by a thick forest where wild animals abound. In 1920, at the height of the Filipino-American War, the rebel priest, Monsignor Gregorio Aglipay, fled to the thick forest with several of his men and formed his sandatahan, to fight against the Americans who invaded the province.
The Filipino soldiers under his command were weak in military tactics and almost outnumbered by the enemies. To protect soldiers from the attack of the invaders, Msgr. Aglipay ordered some of his men to climb the tallest tamarind tree on top of the hill to watch for the coming of the American forces. When the watchers saw that there was something unusual they reported it to the hiding soldiers, so that they would be ready to fight. This was how the place was used during the war. For protection, the priest ordered the settlers to build their houses nearer to each other. There were three factors that made Pinili (means selected) the name of the town: 1. General Gregorio Aglipay selected it as the place of refuge for his army; 2. The place was inhabited only by selected people; and 3. The place was chosen as the site of the poblacion because of its historical value.
Aglipay Shrine in Batac
Aglipay died at the age of 80 on September 1, 1940 and was given an elaborate funeral attended by officials of the Commonwealth of the Philippines. His remains lie in state at a large mausoleum called the Aglipay Shrine in downtown Batac City. This shrine is actually right across the street from the Marcos Mausoleum.